28 August 2010

taking on water

So it's about time I write about something that has been on my mind for the past decade.  My unilateral edema.  There's some medical mumbo-jumbo for you!  Or as my sister so lovingly called it, my "fat foot."

This one time, at Band Camp...I noticed my left ankle was swollen.  I thought to myself:  did I turn my ankle on the field?  No.  I would have felt that.  I didn't fall on the stairs.  Wrench it while climbing into my bunk.  None of the usual explanations.  I do what any 17 year old would do...I notify the nearest adult who is supposed to take care of us young folk.  All they could do was shrug, and suggest I had been stung by something.  Well, I got stung by a bee on my toe once, and yeah, I would have remembered being stung on my ankle.

All through football season, I wrapped the ankle, limped, elevated it when possible, and asked occasionally if I could get some medical attention.  Never happened.  It was just something I would have to live with.

On a side note...no teenager should be told that.  Yes, they should learn that life can be unfair, but to give up?  To stop looking for a solution?  Never.

The wrapping and poor marching continued into college.  Despite being on my parents' health insurance, I decided to take matters into my own hands and show my now swollen ankle, foot AND calf to a university doctor.  "Wow, that's weird," he said.  I got an MRI that gave me the diagnosis: posterior tibiofibular tendonosis.  Not tendonitis.  The tendon that runs down the back of my calf and into the arch of my foot had been overstretched like an old rubber band.  This could cause swelling.  Eureka!

Phase one of physical therapy.  Exercises are always good.  I think my feet got stronger.  But the swelling continued.  And I paid a lot of money.  And wore stockings that only grandparents should wear.

Next, unfortunate attention paid to my medical mystery while in Canada.  I just didn't want to be noticed...not for that.  I got sick of explaining it en francais.

Fast forward to modern times.  Back to the family doctor, who suggests swimming, a good no-impact workout.  Ok.  A few more years, and grandma thinks there's something wrong with me.  Duh?  New doctor.  New guess.  Ultrasound.  No clot.  New doctor.  New guess.  MRI?  Nope.  Insurance doesn't like that idea.  I haven't been prescribed enough medication.  Though I am wondering if an anti-inflammatory would help...

The MRI would look at my lumbar spine and pelvis, searching for blockage of lymph vessels, veins, what-have-you.  Not tendonosis.  Methinks that the tendon stretched after the initial swelling limited my range of motion and altered my gait.  Doctor agrees.  But then what could it be?  All sorts of things, according to the internet, including a few auto-immune diseases that I would rather not have.  Cue House references?

My arch still hurts occasionally, and I get massage therapy and reflexology occasionally that seem to help in a miniscule way.  But shoes still fit differently, and I still get anxious when I wear skirts.  Which sucks because I love wearing skirts.

No comments:

Post a Comment