03 August 2010

happy birthday martha

Lately I've been trying some new ways to connect with the women that have had the greatest impact on my life. 

Well, more than lately.  I have to admit that getting involved with the sanctuary committee at church was about more than flexing my architectural historical muscles...it was also about feeling out the shoes left by my mother's absence.  And of course I cannot fill them.  No matter how many times I'm compared to her.  But I did my little part despite the toxic political atmosphere. 

My latest endeavor was sewing cloth school bags for a charity.  Naturally, the sewing machine I found in the basement was less than useful, so I used my grandmother's machine.  Which is a bonus because she tweaked the design and the directions a little bit to make it simpler.  The stitches are rather crooked, with the occasional "whoa what happened" curves and snags, but the bags should hold.  I realized a little too late that I made them Florida colors.  But I don't think the bags are going to a part of the world where that will matter.  It's a way to connect to Grandma without having to force anything.  She knows all there is to know about needles and thread, and I don't.  And because the project sends school bags and supplies to children who might not otherwise go to school, including young girls who just need an education to show them there's more to life than what poverty or class or race has given them, I think I am fulfilling that Phi Beta Kappa goal of spreading the importance of education.

The next project won't be charity, but it might be the most difficult.  I'd like to try my other grandmother's pickle recipe.  Finding cucumbers won't be a problem (though my window of opportunity will close soon), since there are so many farmers markets around here.  The problem is pickling salt.  Walmart has pre-seasoned pickling and canning mixes (Dill, Bread & Butter, etc.) that don't help me much.  No surprise that Walmart is not helping.  But I can't even find any at the grocery store.  I'm stumped.  And I'm not even sure I have enough jars.

In my spare time I've been daydreaming of my own place to call home.  The stash of furniture and kitchen utensils and home décor I have in my father's basement has been taunting me...if only I had somewhere to put it and see it every day and live my life.  Most of what I bought from Target last week was to decorate my hypothetical dream apartment.  Those pillows will look so nice on my striped loveseat!

I do manage to stop myself from buying expensive pots and pans and knives.  So far.  I just can't wait.  So there's my Martha Stewart ode for the day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment