04 April 2011

church lady

I haven't written much about church or religion.  It's never really seemed to matter much to me except on a purely aesthetic level.  Art history offers such an understanding of church culture and history that going on Sunday, especially to an austere Presbyterian church, seemed an afterthought.  To some I am a heathen, to others I am the status quo, an academic non-observer.  But now it's out...right on my Facebook...the inexplicable association with organized religion.

Back before I somehow chose art history as a focus, the church was yet another public forum in which to embarrass myself, much like high school.  Christmas pageants and talent shows galore.  Nowadays, I've been avoiding church in order to avoid answering the "What are you doing these days?" or "Found a job yet?" questions.

But I'm also planning a fundraiser for Heifer International, which requires reaching out to congregation members and being a general busy-body.  I think I can make the event a lot of fun, something different than an empty envelope in the bulletin.

The one snag is how much of my own money to spend.  Because there isn't much of it.  Well, there are other, potential snags...I'm wondering if my volunteers thus far really understand what the event is (how many different ways could I put it?) and whether they realize this will take their time and perhaps even their money.  I know I shouldn't assume, but to say these things to their faces seems rather blunt.  For some people, "volunteer" could mean just show up.  In this case, just showing up ain't gonna cut it.  And what if nobody comes to donate?

I have to admit that this Heifer event will be--for me--less about religion and more about flexing my administrative muscles for a good cause.  Helping people is not a purely Christian concept, yet the church has always been a fitting frame for these sorts of missions.  Heifer also happens to be the project my mother often headed in the past.  Unfortunately for me, this time it will take more than a cow-shaped stamp to pull it off.

No comments:

Post a Comment