24 January 2011

what is merit? or, how I would like to bitch slap my high school guidance counselor

So I had a random memory today of my physical therapist, Vitaly.  During the usual chitchat that I assume was supposed to distract me from the painful and tiring processes, he told me that a lot of younger trainers and therapists were getting not only Masters degrees but also Doctorates.  And those with the most schooling, no matter how green, were favored for employment.  Over those with more experience, yet "lower" degrees due to the fact that a Doctorate didn't exist when they were in school.

Well, if only it worked that way for me.  I'd like somebody, just one employer, to overlook a few things in favor of arbitrary information.

How am I supposed to keep up with all of these HR prejudices that seem to contradict one another?  They want good schools, but also lots of experience.  They want responsible employees, but shy away from advanced degrees.  It all seems designed to force me to lie, and that's something I really don't want to do.  I don't want to pretend I already live in Philadelphia, or that I didn't go to graduate school.

Of course I'm assuming that the people with whom I am competing are playing fair.  And I have a sneaking suspicion that they aren't.  To fail and preserve my character, or to win by selling my soul?  That is the question.

I know for sure by now that all my "hard work" in grade school means bupkis.  Not even the whole "it shows you can start something and complete it" bit doesn't satisfy me.  So the existential crisis continues for a third year...what is this life about?

No comments:

Post a Comment