18 January 2011

give me a job

A facebook friend posted this a week or two ago:  "what should you value more in a professional experience: quality, or "quantity", that is, length of commitment? is it just my generation, or are most people always looking for a better, more interesting, or just more convenient way to earn their living and enjoy their work?"


Of course the reading of this reminded me of how I am racked with guilt over being one of those Generation Y losers who haven't stayed at one place of employment for multiple, continuous years.  I try to justify, and think over the reasons why I have not stayed.  Well, I suppose it began with college.  I worked summer only.  Then work-study at the Columbus museum came along, interrupted by an internship in D.C.  I did go back to Columbus, yet I doubt that counts as continuity.  Then graduation...and work-study ended and the museum had no place for me.  I volunteered for a few months, worked retail for a few more, then got back into the old Development office for a few months.  Then I had the awesome idea to go to graduate school.  Ooops?  More work-study, but there wasn't enough work to last past May both years.  Summer jobs.  Unpaid internships.  Volunteering.  Substitute teaching.  2010 Census.  Then finishing the last 4 months of the Zanesville museum's education grant.


I want to know, quite simply and unequivocally, does the past decade of my life make me ineligible to work for a living?


Because it was all supposed to do the opposite.

No comments:

Post a Comment