11 October 2010

stirring up dust

While clearing the old book shelves for my latest painting project, I had to stuff a lot of books in a box and gently place glass trinkets aside.  I also happened across two journals of mine, my travel journal and my diary.  Reading my travel journal reminded me of how optimistic I was, that I would one day fill it with adventures all over the globe.  Reading my diary brought up the old debate about what should go on the blog and what should stay private.  I think I've drawn a good solid line between the two...

I was thinking the other day about how I might categorize my blog.  Now, I have no delusions of grandeur that some day thousands of readers will check my blog for my latest wisdom.  But it was an interesting thought nonetheless.  I often write about jobs these days, since it weighs so heavily on me.  Occasionally some politics, though I think the market for political bloggers (whether liberal or conservative) is rather overcrowded.  Maybe I should write more explicitly about art, since I'm supposedly well-educated on the subject.  I share other little tidbits that might be little mini-echoes of that Julie & Julia movie, when I chronicle the trials and tribulations of Grandma's pickle recipe or using a sewing machine for the first time in fifteen years.

But really, all the little projects around the house--painting, cleaning, baking--all are distractions from my real work...that stupid thesis that haunts the quiet hours before I fall asleep.  I really did bite off more than I could chew.  Was a fabulous two years in Manhattan with fabulous people worth this blunder?  It always comes back to that.

No comments:

Post a Comment